What do YOU do to stop
the boredom and make your family fun?
Making family fun may be simply natural to some parents but that isn’t the case for me. I suppose I may have been able to pull it off with one child in the family, maybe even two,
but when our brood grew to include five children I had to start strategizing.
Living life to the fullest, making most of my days with the kids, building loving, lasting relationships is what I want. And I want to have fun and watch my family having fun as well.
Oh, and I’d like to maintain my sanity in the process. It turns out all these things require effort.
There are times when laughter spontaneously erupts amongst the bunch of us (usually during supper time around the dinner table) but mostly family fun has to be at least partially orchestrated. I suppose you could call it setting the stage for fun to happen.
Having some sort of plan helps the family feel they are part of something.
And so for years we had games night and family day. Holidays come with buckets of traditional activities. I’m sure the kids sometimes hate having such structured days. But we certainly have had a lot of laughter. And having days that are unstructured has been important to.
Boredom and chaos leads to arguments and tantrums. We’ve had those in heaps as well. Those are not fun. Who wants to be around people that aren’t treating them well? I know I don’t.
Having some organization to the days can help a family know where they stand. They’ve got things to look forward to with clear expectations.
All this needs to be pulled off in a relaxed manner. Flexibility is extremely important. It may seem easier to act like an army sergeant but that isn’t going to give your children those loving, laughing memories you may want. It isn’t going to make family fun for them at all.
I’ve been a big failure at raising my kids at times. I am not a perfect parent. If you want the truth on that, just ask my family on any day except mother’s day.
But I look at those kids as they continue to grow and I am impressed. They’ve always taught me at least as much as I’ve taught them. If I can be half as together as they are when I grow up, then I think somehow I may have done something right.
So let’s explore some different ideas and work at preventing frowns on the faces we love as much as possible. Let’s do this together. Let’s make family fun.
- Family Fun Blog
- The Family Fun Blog keeps you up-to-date with all the latest additions to the Making-Family-Fun.com website. Subscribe here.
- Family Traditions That Come From Thinking Inside And Outside Of The Box
- When you think about the holidays what family traditions come to mind? See how our family uses both common traditions and a few original ones to create happy experiences.
- Family Games
- Playing family games is a great way to have fun,learn and grow together all at the same time. Here we look at the many varieties of games a family can play together.
- Making Family Crafts Fun!
- Keep your reservois of family crafts full and check out these ways to make craft time fun.
- Kids Activities: What role do they play?
- Deciding on our kids activities can be troublesome. Here is some insite to help you through your own decisions and a chance to share your child's favourite activity with others as well.
- Family Movies
- Can we watch family movies and create the excitement and fascination for our children that we had around movies when we were children? This article explains how one family has tried.
- Single Parenting. You don't need to do it alone.
- Single parenting does not need to be a lonely experience. Read how to reach out to others and take cues from your child or children themselves.
- Parenting Tips Like Great Grandma Would Have Given
- As parents and caregivers, we all need a little help along the way. Check out these parenting tips and add some of your own.
- And Then There's School
- School is such a large part of our children's lives and gives us a whole gamut of situations to deal with. Explore the different aspects of school and the effects they have on children.
- Teenagers and Family
- Teenagers present unique situations within the life of our families. Here we look at various situations such as teen fun, parenting teens, and teen issues.
- Family Vacation Ideas Anyone?
- Family vacation ideas can be hard to come by when you are working on a budget. Sometimes the strangest ideas can turn into the best family vacation.
- Fun Family Vacations
- Dreaming of fun family vacations away can get you through even the dullest of days. Explore some of our vacations as well as family vacation experiences of those of our friends.
- Sex Education. When Do We Begin Teaching Our Children?
- Do you shy away from sex education with your children? Explore the pros of educating our children early about their bodies. Learn what body science is all about and receive some resources to work with
- Health Issues after Children
- Learn about the health issues that we are confronted with after having children.Share your storiesand read about other's experiences.
- The Battle Of Body Image
- There really is a battle going on over your body image. See how you can win the battle with a simple observation.
- Steve Reifman
- Steve Reifman is an elementary school teacher, author, and speaker in Santa Monica, CA. He has written books for educators, parents and children. Learn more about this inspiring man and his works.
- Who Am I?
- You may be wondering who am I to be giving advice on making family fun. Take a gander at this and you be the judge - but don't judge too harshly.
- Contact Us
- Want to contact us?Have something you want to add to the site? Have something you just want to let me know? Any questions or comments can be added here.